Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Spread the word....make a call.....

I try to keep my blog happy and free from too much drama but if you enjoy handmade items for children under 12..........watch out they may be hard to come by after February 9, 2009.


Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act (CPSIA).This Act, which will go into effect on February 10th, 2009, puts forth much more stringent safety measures for products intended for children under the age of 12.Under the very important auspices of child safety, the Act may have grave unintended consequences: fewer choices for families who are looking for handcrafted alternatives.....dolls, doll clothes, wooden toys........ Many artists and craftspeople have expressed fears that they won't be able stay in business due to the burdensome cost of testing and certification pursuant to the proposed legislation. Understandably, this is an issue of great community concern.............Make some calls:

The office of the CPSC ombudsman: 888-531-9070.

Visit the Handmade Toy Alliance for information about writing your representatives.
Kind of a Bah Humbug huh........my next post will be drama free.....but may involve syrup!
The cute dress Sarah is wearing was from a HANDCRAFTER.......Deb!

7 comments:

Jen said...

Huh! I hadn't heard of it and will definitely check into it. If you're interested, I'm having a giveaway at my site. I'd love to see you there!

Grammy Staffy said...

Thanks for the warning.

On a lighter side come on over to my blog and pick up an award I have waiting for you there.

I love these cute pictures of Sarah

Swoon with Deb Hodge said...

On the lighter side..... Sarah has got to be the MOST BEAUTIFUL child on earth!! Even better than Shilo & Suri!
XOXO Deb

Rhonda said...

I had to take a lot of stuff off of AMAZON toys for the same reasons. I have no idea what is going on but it makes things more difficult and is surely going to drive people to do all kinds of illegal shopping! Haha.

Havefaith said...

Thanks Dana, for letting us know what is going on.
Will definitely make a call.
Love you Mom xoxo

Anonymous said...

This just drives me crazy. There are so many handmade items that are just beautiful, I hate to think that the government is going to step in and "protect" us from buying them. Why can't they just allow us to use our own common sense and actually, maybe, supervise our kids playing with these items. There is no personal accountablity in this country for anything. Can't we all just sign a waiver and promise that we'll actually watch over our kids so the government doesn't have to do it? Bah humbug.

TUTU Monkey said...

I agree Anonymous.......!!